I generally enjoy going to parties. The people are interesting, the messes are not my responsibility and money stays in my pocket. But there is one consistent setback of parties: the music.

No matter how much I yearn for Poison, Motley Crue, and AC/DC, I instead hear Jay-Z, Kanye West (still alive) and competing annoyers Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus.

Of course the playlist includes the mandatory Don’t Stop Believin’ and Livin’ On A Prayer, but those songs are played so often they become cliché. They are still a welcome alternative compared to everything else I hear through the night.

Today’s music does not compete with that of previous generations because of one defining symbol that has seemingly disappeared — the guitar.

Out of Rolling Stone Magazine’s list of top 100 guitar songs, 78 come from the ‘60s, ‘70s, and ‘80s. Only 18 of those songs were made after 1990 and that number has decreased every decade over the past half-century.

I agree with the magazine’s assessment of guitar music, which seems to be exiting stage left. I was awestruck when Van Halen performed at the Schottenstein Center two years ago.

Seeing now-54-year-old Eddie dazzle the crowd while playing Eruption made me wonder if I will ever see that level of guitar-playing again. Today’s rock bands do not place the same emphasis on guitar as in previous decades.

Perhaps I should just settle for listening to this kind of music on iTunes and VH1 Classic. Maybe I should give in and accept the changing music scene. It seems the only chance I have to see my favorite bands in action is to attend their farewell tours.

Therefore, I am requesting the reincarnation of big hair and electric guitar classic rock. Prolong the spirit of Aerosmith, Guns N’ Roses and Ratt. Ride the coattails of Skid Row, Boston and Queen. Long live Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Kiss. I firmly believe that this type of music can still produce a sizeable fan base if the bands are truly committed making the guitar the focal point.

Today’s music can continue to expand and draw followers. People can still listen to their favorite rappers, pop artists and current rock. However, if classic rock returns, fans will have a place to go after the bright lights of farewell tours are forever darkened.