Surrounded by more than 3,000 fans, the No. 3 Ohio State wrestling team took down the No. 13 Nittany Lions of Penn State in a 21-14 decision Sunday afternoon in St. John Arena.

“We expect to win all of the Big Ten duals,” captain Lance Palmer said.   
Palmer added that this match was important in judging where the team is at and what needs to improve for the remainder of the season.

At 149 pounds, Palmer had the most aggressive showing of the day. 

Palmer faced Frank Molinaro, and exploded out of the gate with his only takedown in the first 22 seconds.

“In the beginning of the match I felt him out too much,” Palmer said. “After I figured out my positioning and that he wouldn’t be able shoot on me, that’s when I started attacking and getting more aggressive.” 

Despite getting off-balance just slightly, Palmer felt confident in his defensive position and held Molinaro to just two escapes and one penalty point.

Coach Tom Ryan and Palmer seem to be on the same page with the need to improve. 

“Palmer has to get in better shape,” Ryan said.    

Captain Reece Humphrey took home the biggest win of the day, 22-7. 

Humphrey racked up the points with nine takedowns and two escapes. 

Humphrey is 21-2 on the season. 

“The standard is Nationals Championships and living up to your ability,” Ryan said. 

Despite the victory, Coach Tom Ryan asserted that they have a lot to improve on. 

“We’re into the Big Ten schedule and into the training phase where they will be able to improve quite a bit between now and the Big Ten Championships,” Ryan said.

The conditioning in the gym is at an all-time high. Ryan joked, “When the kids don’t listen at home, I take it out on the guys.”

The Buckeyes travel to Purdue and Indiana Jan. 29 and Jan. 31, respectively.