As winter quarter sets in, some campus area restaurants and bars feel the change in attendance.

Football season and warm weather are gone and low temperatures have taken over. This change of season causes many students to stay in instead of going out.

The landscape of Ohio State has changed with the new quarter.

When one walks through The Oval there are no longer crowds of people playing Frisbee or walking their dogs. Instead The Oval is filled with people bundled up, hurrying to class or home. This same phenomenon can be seen at campus-area bars and restaurants.

Crowds of people have migrated out of restaurants and bars and have opted to stay home and order in.

Kevin Fink, general manager of Jimmy John’s on North High Street, said he has noticed a change in attendance. He said while Jimmy John’s processes about the same amount of orders for the Fall and Winter quarters, during Winter Quarter a higher percent of sales are from delivery.

Jimmy John’s delivery allows students to eat without leaving their house in the snow and winter weather. Fink said during the recent snow storm, Jimmy John’s was flooded with orders from students.

Other restaurants have noticed differences this winter too. Nate Kelly, general manager of Noodles & Company, said that while in-store traffic is still high he has seen an increase in phone-in and carry-out orders.

“People will call in and come pick up the order in their pajamas,” Kelly said.

Campus area restaurants are not the only ones seeing a change; bars have also seen a difference.

Nate Barker, manager of the O Patio and Pub, said that football draws big crowds during the fall, but winter causes everyone to stay inside. He said that during winter people stay at home and drink early and come to the bars later in the night.

Katie Stein, a fourth-year in fashion merchandising, said, “I have noticed less people at the bars when it is cold out and I can’t blame them. With all of this snow I would rather stay home and just have friends over.”

Working against the weather, the O Patio and Pub has set up specials to try and entice people into coming to the bar. Specials include the winter special of $10, 256 ounce buckets of beer on Sunday nights, mug night on Sunday and Monday, and the weekly favorite of Liquid Dope/country night on Wednesdays.

Managers hope increased specials will draw students out of their hibernation and back into the bars.