Chancellor Eric Fingerhut of the Ohio Board of Regents spoke Wednesday night about improving and sustaining the quality of higher education in Ohio at the Ohio State University’s Undergraduate Student Government’s Senate meeting.

Fingerhut’s visit was a chance for students “to get accurate information directly from the source” about higher education funding, said USG Vice President Jordan Davis.

Fingerhut spoke about how important it is to have a variety of schools in Ohio so every student can find the right fit, but one of his goals is to help schools work with each other. Students need to be able to switch schools and transfer credits smoothly, he said.

The visit was also a chance for Fingerhut to listen to students’ concerns. Questions focused on textbook costs, career services and tuition for graduate studies.

“We did not have to pull teeth for this man to come,” said USG President Ben Anthony, a fourth-year in international business administration and political science. “He wants to come. He wants to talk to students and get direct feedback.”

Fingerhut was appointed chancellor in 2007 by Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland and charged with creating an improved system of higher education. Fingerhut has worked with Ohio Legislature to increase funding for Ohio universities, put a freeze on tuition increases and boosted financial aid.

Fingerhut will be at the Longaberger Alumni House on Monday, Feb. 1 from 1 to 5 p.m. for “Enroll Ohio” and says he welcomes the opportunity for students to approach him with questions and ideas.

“Help us plan the future of higher education in Ohio,” he said.