In recent years, Ohio State has become “Cornerback U,” thanks to the NFL success of former Buckeye standouts Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Chris Gamble, Ashton Youboty and Malcolm Jenkins.

Three attributes they all had in common: physicality, fearlessness and an eye for the ball. Cleveland Glenville cornerback Christian Bryant appears to have each of those three characteristics.

“He’s a tenacious kid,” said Steve Helwagen of Bucknuts.com. “He’s not the biggest guy on the field, but he makes an impact far beyond his size.”

Kevin Noon, managing editor of BuckeyeGrove.com, agrees that Bryant has the confidence to match his skill set.

“Christian plays a lot bigger than he is. He plays like a bigger corner,” Noon said. “His ball skills are very good, and he’s really quick.”

The Buckeyes have both of their starting corners, juniors Chimdi Chekwa and Devon Torrence, returning next year. Yet, Helwagen thinks Bryant’s overall package could lead to early playing time on defense or even special teams.

“He definitely has a chance to get on the field on special teams and possibly as a backup [cornerback],” Helwagen said. “Malcolm Jenkins didn’t have the hype but he went into fall camp and wowed everyone and became the nickel back his freshman year. If Bryant can come in there and do that, [he’s got a shot to play].”

Despite OSU’s depth at corner, Noon says it’s ultimately up to Bryant whether he earns early action on the field.

“If he takes care of his business he’ll play. Tressel has proven he’s not afraid to play younger guys,” Noon said. “He’ll have to prove himself though.”

The 5-foot-10-inch, 175-pound U.S. Army All-American is the 16th Cleveland Glenville Tarblooder to play for OSU since 2002.

“It’s been an amazing thing … it’s not just OSU, [Glenville] has sent kids all over the Big Ten, the MAC, all over the place,” Helwagen said. “No other high school in the state of Ohio can come close [in producing Division I players].”

Noon believes that playing close to home and seeing the success of former Glenville standouts Donte Whitner, Ted Ginn Jr. and Jermale Hines at OSU factors in when current Tarblooders are weighing scholarship offers.

“It’s a school in Cleveland so it is very pro-Buckeye,” Noon said. “A lot of these guys want to play in front of family … It’s infectious.”

Bryant was incredibly versatile for Glenville coach Ted Ginn Sr., seeing time as quarterback, tailback, receiver, cornerback, kicker and punter.

The Senate League Offensive Player of the Year had 13 offensive touchdowns and had 82 tackles and five interceptions on defense for the 13-2 Tarblooders.

Location may have been a factor for Bryant when he had to decide between OSU and his other top choice, North Carolina.

“That seven- to eight-hour ride to North Carolina might have gotten lonely for my family, and they might have gotten tired making that drive every single weekend,” Bryant told The Cleveland Plain Dealer in January. “I know my family would have been onboard no matter where I’d have chosen, but that two-hour drive to Columbus isn’t really that far.”

If he puts in the necessary work and maximizes his skills, Bryant is sure to be on the field in no time.