Zach Hurley had given up on realizing his professional dreams after his junior season, content to exhaust his eligibility as a Buckeye.

Then the Ohio State left fielder was selected on day three of the 2009 MLB Draft.

“I wasn’t even watching it. Then out of the blue I get a phone call and then I get about 10 text messages and three voice mails on top of that in about 30 seconds,” he said.

The calls were to inform Hurley that he was picked in the 45th round of the draft by the Florida Marlins, though he had expected to be picked a lot earlier, he said.

“After the second day of the draft, when I wasn’t picked I didn’t think about the draft,” Hurley said.

Once selected, however, Hurley did consider the proposition of foregoing his senior season and joining the major leagues, but not for long.

“The Marlins never really made me an offer and weren’t going to make me an offer that was willing to, in my opinion, sacrifice your senior year and your last year at Ohio State,” Hurley said. “It just wasn’t worth it to go play at that point.”

The left-handed leadoff man has made the most of his return.

Hurley is third in the Big Ten in both batting average (.392) and hits (80). He is also sixth in the league in on-base percentage.

Though he is doing well individually, individual statistics were not the motivation for Hurley’s return.

“I don’t have any regrets at all,” he said. “That’s one of the reasons I came back. We have such a close knit group of guys and we all get along.”

Though a close group, the team has struggled to replicate last year’s success.

The Buckeyes took home the conference title in Hurley’s junior season, but this season’s team is currently in a tie for fifth at 10-11 and is in danger of missing the conference tournament.

“Regardless of the record, this has been the most fun year of baseball I’ve had in my career,” Hurley said. “It’s awesome to be a part of it and I’ll walk away from this with memories that no one will be able to take away from me.”

Though he is happy with his decision, Hurley said he hopes to be selected in the draft again this year.

“After last year’s draft you just never know what’s going to happen,” he said. “I don’t have any expectations, any rounds or anything like that at all. I’m just hoping that someone out there thinks I can play for an organization and gives me an opportunity.”