arts_brother

O’Brother is set to perform at Newport Music Hall Nov. 17.
Credit: Lindsay Bailey / Stunt Company

Some Columbus rock fans will have to find a substitute for their day of rest because Sunday is shaping up to be far from calm.
O’Brother is set to open for Manchester Orchestra at Newport Music Hall Sunday. The Front Bottoms is also slated to perform.

Anton Dang, the bassist of O’Brother, said the band enjoys playing stages such as Newport because of the intimacy and the acoustics they provide.

“It’s more intimate and loud, and we like to be loud,” Dang said.

O’Brother has visited Columbus a number of times, including three or four trips to Newport Music Hall and one to The Basement in September, Dang said. The show Sunday, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m., will not be the band’s first time opening for Manchester Orchestra at the same venue.

“This is our third or fourth tour with Manchester,” Dang said. “We’ve been close friends with them for years.”

In addition to sharing a hometown in Atlanta, Manchester Orchestra signed O’Brother to their record label, Favorite Gentleman.

Now touring with the release of its album “Disillusion,” which was released in August, Dang said the group is enjoying relative success.

“So far we’ve played three shows — the first two sold out, and (on Nov. 10), we had a great time playing at The National in Richmond, Va.,” Dang said.

Some fans aren’t sure what the set lists will look like, as O’Brother is working off its recent album release and Manchester Orchestra has not yet released a new album.

Kevin Linnevers, a third-year in health information management and systems, said he expects to hear a few unfamiliar tracks from Manchester Orchestra.

“I have faith that whatever they play for us on Sunday will be what we want to hear, so I definitely won’t be mad,” Linnevers said.

Dang said O’Brother will definitely be working their new material into the set list in an effort to introduce more energy to their show.

“We’ve been playing some of our songs for a while, and they sort of start to fall into a lull,” Dang said.

Caleb Mihalik, a third-year in marketing, said he’s seen O’Brother perform before and enjoyed its performance.

“I had heard about O’Brother through working for PromoWest (Productions) and saw them put on a really good show at The Basement,” Mihalik said.

Manchester Orchestra is one of Linnevers’ favorite bands to see in concert. The band stole the show when it opened for Cage the Elephant and Silversun Pickups in Cincinnati in 2009, Linnevers said.

“I am very excited,” Linnevers said. “I’ll probably be there before the doors even open Sunday because I want to see all of these bands.”

Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster for $16.50 in advance and $20 the day of the show.