OSU freshman guard Austin Grandstaff (3) lines up a shot during a game against Air Force on Dec. 8. OSU won 74-50. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo Editor

OSU freshman guard Austin Grandstaff (3) lines up a shot during a game against Air Force on Dec. 8. OSU won 74-50.
Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo Editor

After coming off the bench in each of the Ohio State men’s basketball team’s first 10 games of the 2015-16 season, freshman guard Austin Grandstaff has decided to continue his collegiate career elsewhere, according to an OSU release.

Grandstaff, a product of Rockwall, Texas, averaged 4.4 points in 11.5 minutes per game this season. The 3-point specialist lived up to his role, with all but five of his 41 field-goal attempts coming from beyond the arc.

He shot 33 percent on his 3-point tries, but did not contribute much elsewhere, accumulating just three rebounds and steals, with no assists.

Grandstaff saw the floor for four minutes in OSU’s 67-54 win over Northern Illinois the night prior to his transfer announcement. He attempted one shot, a 3-pointer that he missed.

Considered one of the top shooting guard recruits in the nation, Grandstaff averaged 29 points per game during his senior season at Rockwall High School, giving him the Area 6A regular-season scoring title.

The 6-foot-4 guard was recruited by University of Texas late in his recruiting process before committing to OSU, so it is possible he could be heading back there.

OSU’s other 2015 recruit from the state of Texas, forward Mickey Mitchell, also had a rough go of things early on in Columbus. The Plano, Texas, native was determined to be ineligible by the NCAA to start the year and is yet to make his OSU debut.

Without Grandstaff, the Buckeyes are set to continue their nonconference schedule in Brooklyn, New York, to take on No. 4 Kentucky. Tip-off is set for 3:30 p.m. at the Barclays Center.