Home » Campus » Vice President Mike Pence, Senator Rob Portman address Republican agenda at state GOP dinner

Vice President Mike Pence, Senator Rob Portman address Republican agenda at state GOP dinner

Pence GOP Dinner

Vice President Mike Pence speaks at the Ohio Republican fundraiser dinner Saturday night. Credit: Matt Dorsey | Engagement Editor

Vice President Mike Pence and Sen. Rob Portman championed the Republican legislative agenda as the ticket to American success Saturday evening in speeches in front of roughly a thousand Republican donors in the Archie M. Griffin Ballroom at the Ohio Union.

The speeches were the main event at the Ohio Republican Dinner, an annual fundraiser event featuring appearances from some of the party’s biggest names.

Pence opened his speech thanking the state of Ohio for its role in electing himself and President Donald Trump, handing them an 8 percent victory over Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election.

One of the Trump administration’s great early achievements has been deregulation, Pence said.

“Since Day One of our administration, President Trump has been fighting to get the American economy moving again,” he said. “As you just heard from Sen. Portman, President Trump has signed more than 40 bills and more than 40 executive orders on everything from healthcare to energy to infrastructure, and more. In fact, the last administration issued red tape in record numbers, but this president has signed more laws cutting through federal red tape than any president in American history.”

Pence mentioned “Made in America” week — the White House’s campaign this past week to highlight American-made goods — and said the administration was working to strengthen manufacturing and farming sectors.

Pence also mentioned the emphasis the administration is placing on the security of American citizens, as demonstrated by its support for both the military and law enforcement.

“President Donald Trump is the best friend the armed forces of the United States will ever have,” he said. “Under President Trump, we will rebuild our military, we will restore the arsenal of democracy, and we will once again give our soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and coast guard the resources and training they need to accomplish their mission and come home safe.”

That line drew thunderous applause, which was matched a moment later when Pence asked all active and veteran military personnel in the room to stand and be recognized by the crowd.

With much attention placed on the Senate’s recent efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, Pence spent eight of his 32 speaking minutes on health care.

Pence said premiums in Ohio’s individual markets — the federally subsidized exchanges allowing citizens without access to health insurance through their job or other means to purchase plans using voucher money — have seen spikes in premiums by nearly 90 percent over the last few years and that companies are pulling out of the markets, leaving customers with a lack of options.

The room drew quiet as Pence described an Ohio woman he said had coverage through the individual market but could not find an actual care provider.

“The truth is Obamacare has failed and Obamacare must go,” he said.

During the dinner, a group of protesters demonstrated across the street from the Union to express dissatisfaction with the Republican health care plan

Earlier in the evening, Pence thanked the Republicans in the room, including Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted and Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine. Pence also thanked Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who was not present at the dinner but had attended an earlier reception in the Union.

“I’ve known your governor for a long time and John and I occasionally have differences of opinion,” Pence said, following the “thank-you.”

The remark was in reference to a statement Pence made earlier this month that Kasich’s team widely refuted. Pence, as several media outlets pointed out, inaccurately said 60,000 Ohioans were placed on wait lists and were unable to receive disability services due to the state’s Medicaid expansion.

Earlier in the week, The Columbus Dispatch reported Kasich would be missing the dinner due to a family obligation.

Portman spoke for less than 10 minutes before Pence came on. He mostly covered the same topics, but focused additionally on working to end the opioid crisis in Ohio and fighting against human trafficking.

Portman — who has not yet committed to a ‘yes’ vote on the BCRA — did say he favored the repeal and replacement of Obamacare, emphasizing he would oppose any legislation to repeal it without immediately implementing a replacement plan, a position he stated publicly earlier in the week when the repeal-only plan was introduced.

Both men also thanked Ohio Republican party chairman Jane Timken — the first woman to ever occupy that position and who gave a brief introduction before Portman took the stage — for her work in the party.

In attendance also was Ohio State College Republicans President Nick Frankowski, a third-year in economics and political science.

Frankowski said he came with a group of College Republicans — two others from Ohio State and a few from Ohio University — who were invited as a group by State Rep. Larry Householder.

Pence’s speech did not have particular stand-out moments, said Krankowski, though he enjoyed the overview of the Trump administration’s agenda, as well as Pence’s speaking style.

He said he was especially glad for the mentions of the opioid crisis by both Pence and Portman and that he hopes battling the crisis is a priority for the party.

“That hits especially close to home,” he said, because his mother works in an addiction treatment center in Cincinnati.

Tickets for the dinner cost $150 apiece, or $250 a couple, with $35 tickets available for College Republicans. VIP packages costing thousands of dollars were also available.

1. Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful post,

2. Pence addressed many issues and all of these are very essential to establish.The tips on writing a great essay are helpful for the betterment of the population.There are many reactions regarding the speeches delivered from his side.

3. This is very helpful as the website where you need not spend money to buy PSN codes as these codes are available for free on the website mentioned Without Verification These codes are real and tested for user satisfaction. Get access to live real and free PSN codes and enjoy the online PSN gaming.

4. If you play NBA Live Mobile on handheld devices, Then you must be needing lot of nba live mobile basketball coins and cash and they are not cheap, if you want to get them for free then you must find nba live mobile online coins generator on the web which can get you them.

5. Well, thank you so much for sharing this. If you want to get Android Game hacks and cheats then you should use Dora Cheats website for best use. This is an excellent website which provides you latest tips and tricks online.

6. This new agenda is a new move senator made and that is really nice. By the way i found a new online place where you can have all the gaming tips and guides. You will have all the gaming news using No Surveys No Download of any kind of object. Check that out.

7. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a multiplayer online struggle royale video game produced by PUBG Corporation, a subsidiary of Korean publisher Bluehole. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Hardware Requirements and Performance. Added three different sound files for the red area. You can find the hyperlink to download GeForce Now beta on your Mac here It’s free for now, and creating a Steam bank account is also free. The thing is: it accidentally became a bulletproof bum-protector, as Chris explains. The sudden interest in the game from early access exceeded their objectives, and put emphasis on the balance of the overall game and its underlying networking alongside gameplay improvements.
    In game seven, Miami Flamingos, PENTA, Method and Corn Shuckers all found themselves shacked up in or about the same three houses. Today, we wish to share that people will be working the test servers for PC 1.0 for the next time this week and then week. Blue hole is generally a 3rd rate dev team who are in completely over their minds trying to make a game that needs AAA finesse and skill.
    every dino. PUBG free is a refreshing, new way to try out shooter games. I’m unfortunate about Overwatch but your entire reasons make sense. Have a look at my video tutorial below for a detailed go through the advancement of PUBG’s All these weapons don’t have predicable weapon recoil, they’re all different, as well with the bullet drop. Than Daybreak licensed Battle Royale gamemode from him plus they executed that his game method in their game called ‘H1Z1,’ down the road they found the probable of Battle Royale and they split the overall game into 2 video games with one game that only gets the Struggle Royale game method called H1Z1: Ruler of the Kill.

8. I liked how the Vice president have addressed the nation. I have also came to know about the fast pc games which is great website for the game users. You can easily go on these website and get a great bunch of stuff.

9. I am a follower of the vice president and I love his speech all over the time. The snapyspy is a website which is spy gamer for all type of android and ios games. You can check out the website for more information.

10. There are best of video games available online to play and if you guys want to get free resources for any online game, then you must know about one website called no survey offer verification this is the best site for every game you play.