Ohio State junior forward Charly Dahlquist (5) dives for the puck in the first period of the game against Minnesota on Jan. 19. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The No. 6 Ohio State women’s hockey team lost two games to top-ranked Wisconsin by a combined score of 10-1 earlier this season. On Friday, it enacted revenge, beating the Badgers 1-0 at the OSU Ice Rink.

“When you play a team like Wisconsin it doesn’t take much to motivate them,” Ohio State head coach Nadine Muzerall said. “Although there was some redemption needed, our play with them in early November we did a really good job of watching game film. They have now become a students of the game and they’re playing a lot smarter.”

Neither team scored in the first period with both teams taking at least 12 shots. But freshman forward Emma Maltais put Ohio State on the board 15 seconds into the second period with what ended up being the only goal of the game.

The Badgers had a chance to break the scoreless tie in the first period when Ohio State junior forward Charly Dahlquist sat for two minutes on a hooking penalty. However, Wisconsin was unable to break through during Ohio State’s minor penalty. The two teams combined to finish 0-for-4 on power plays with each side receiving two chances with the advantage.

“I think we did the simple things,” Muzerall said. “If you have pressure, ship it up. Everybody did what they needed to do, the little things that everybody hates and they executed it perfectly.”

Wisconsin was unable to put a shot past Ohio State redshirt junior goalie Kassidy Sauve, who picked up 26 saves. Badger redshirt sophomore goalie Kristen Campbell also had 26 saves, but let one puck fly past her into the net.

“The girls did such a great job today keeping it to the perimeter and not giving them many second chances,” Sauve said. “It’s my job to control the puck and either get us a whistle or put it in a place that sets it up for our girls to be able to break it out.”

Ohio State will attempt to sweep the home series with Wisconsin at 3:07 p.m Saturday.