Sunrise Reset is getting a fresh start in the Columbus music scene with a new name and a stripped-down sound following a 3-year hiatus from creating music.

Singer and guitarist Corey Fry said there was no doubt that he would get back to making music following his hiatus to pursue graduate school at Ohio State. Fry and guitarists Darrin Wessenberg and Damien Pyles came together once again to form Sunrise Reset, which they named after a song from their previous creative journey, Monolithic Cloud Parade.

“I remember meeting [Fry] at Bodega one night and saying ‘Hey we should do this again,’” Wessenberg said. “We had done Monolithic Cloud Parade for awhile and a couple years had gone by and I had an itch to play again.”

Even then, Sunrise Reset was lacking a drummer.

Michael Yonchack, an Otterbein University music professor, was introduced to the band after he responded to Fry’s ad on Craigslist searching for a drummer. 

The band describes their new sound as folksy with catchy choruses, but more stripped down and simple compared to their style as Monolithic Cloud Parade. Fry said their new sound was inspired by bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, Modest Mouse, The Strokes and Magnolia Electric Company.

After playing a few shows earlier this year, Fry said Sunrise Reset is trying to find their way through an evolving music scene in Columbus.

“The scene is so different now from when we played as Cloud Parade,” Wessenberg said. “There’s all new bands and new people to deal with, it’s trying to like get your foot back into the door.”

The idea of change is a theme reflected in their first full LP, “Westward.”

Fry said “Westward” was inspired by his travels out to the west coast and trying to figure out the meaning of life past the age of 30.

“I am at a very happy place,” Fry said. “So, it’s just touching upon the adventures and elements of life past 30.”

Sunrise Reset is celebrating the release of their newest LP tonight at The Shrunken Head following sets from The Lost Revival and The Up All Nights starting at 9 p.m. Sept. 28.

Video by Katie Hamilton (.1193)