5k racers smiling after finishing the race at a past Donut Run. Photo courtesy of Columbus Donut Run.

5K races bring excitement to those who run and those who cheer on their friends and family alike. But how can a 3.1-mile run/walk become more rewarding? Just add donuts.

The 2018 Columbus Donut Run takes place at 9 a.m. Sunday at Genoa Park.

The Donut Run doubles as a fundraiser for the Joan Levy Bisesi foundation for head and neck oncology. Joan was a young mother who had oral cancer, and the foundation raises money for education, survivorship, awareness, and neck and head cancer research at the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute at Ohio State. The Donut Run is also one of the three featured races in The James 5K Race Series.

Those who would like a nice Sunday morning stroll and snacks can choose the walking option, while those hungry for both breakfast and a new personal record can run. At each one of the three-mile markers are warm donut holes.

Full-size donuts and Starbucks coffee will be waiting for participants at the finish line. But this 5K is more than just a tasty way to squeeze in a workout.

Registration is $50 and must be completed by Saturday at 5 p.m. Participants can sign up individually or with a group.

Race packets, which include one’s race bib, treat bag and T-shirt, must be picked up prior to race day at Columbus Running Company locations. They can be picked up from Thursday to Saturday during store hours.