Ohio State freshman forward Kayla Fischer (2) dribbles the ball upfield in the second half of the game against Florida Gulf Coast University on Sept. 7, 2018. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

The Ohio State women’s soccer team (8-5-3, 5-2-3 Big Ten) managed to score in the first five minutes of the match, clinching the 2-1 win over Purdue (7-7-4, 1-6-3 Big Ten) and securing a spot in the Big Ten tournament.

The Buckeyes opened up the match, notching the first goal in less than five minutes from freshmen forward Kayla Fischer, who made the shot from 12 yards assisted by junior defender Marike Mousset, marking her third goal of the season and giving Ohio State into an early 1-0 lead, one that would stay until halftime.

Then, Purdue rallied and made a quick comeback right out of halftime, with freshmen forward Sydney Duarte notching a goal from six yards to tie the game 1-1 and recording her second goal on the year.

In the 66th minute of the match, Fischer tallied the game-winning goal for Ohio State on a 15-yard left-footer, her fourth of the season.

Senior goalkeeper Devon Kerr showed her consistency on the road, totaling six saves for the Buckeyes..  

Despite the 2-1 win, Purdue held a 16-7 dominance in shots, a 7-4 favor in shots on goal and a 9-2 lead in corner kicks.

Ohio State will return home to Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium and will face No. 19 Wisconsin in the final game of the 2018 regular season on Sunday at 2 p.m.