Short North dance studio Danceville U.S.A. will host their sixth annual “Anti-Valentine’s Party” on Feb. 14. Credit: Courtesy of Danceville U.S.A

Short North dance studio Danceville U.S.A. will celebrate Valentine’s Day with its sixth annual “Anti-Valentine’s Party” on Thursday by extending open invitations to those without a Valentine.

Danceville U.S.A. celebrates Valentine’s Day through the “anti” form in a positive manner, as an act of inclusion for those who spend the day on their own.

“The reason we call it an Anti-Valentine’s Day party is because not everyone has a partner or a significant other,” Danceville U.S.A. instructor Anastasia Gordeeva said. “Our dance parties are focused on the fact that you don’t have to have a dance partner. You can come by yourself because we have instructors here, but also, you can meet people here.”

Gordeeva said there are no requirements to attend the party. Whether you are single or in a relationship, all you need is the mindset to have a great night.

“It’s a very fun social activity. You don’t even have to know how to dance,” Gordeeva said.

The party not only stresses how being single is great, but having the desire to go and express yourself by dancing alone is even better.

Kyle Yarberry, public relations and marketing director for Danceville U.S.A., said Anti-Valentine’s Day is a way to give people not in a relationship a place to go without feeling like they have to go with someone.

The party begins with guests learning the same dance, followed by an open dance floor and refreshments.

“We start off by teaching a group class, and after that we play music and people partner up if they want to, and we have our instructors here as well who are dancing with all the students,” Gordeeva said.

Gordeeva said the concept of Anti-Valentine’s Day is represented through the name, theme and music.

“We play a pretty wide range of music, and we try to make it to the theme about being single or breaking up,” Gordeeva said.

Danceville U.S.A. has been celebrating the joy of being single on Valentine’s Day since it opened its doors in January 2014. Yarberry said when the owner opened the studio five years ago, he wanted to make a space comfortable for anyone coming out on Valentine’s Day, especially if they are single.

No matter the relationship status, gender, age or demographic, anyone is welcome to spend Valentine’s Day in a positive and fun environment with an inclusive group of people.

“We have a wide age range from college students to retirees. It’s very diverse,” Gordeeva said.

The party is a warm, welcoming and safe environment open to anyone who has the desire to do something different.

“It’s a very familial atmosphere,” Yarberry said.

The “Anti-Valentines Day Party” begins at 8 p.m. Thursday, at 47 E Lincoln St and the price of $50 includes dancing, food, drinks and the opportunity to sign up for other regularly scheduled dance classes that are offered.