Sophomore quarterback Justin Fields (1) runs down the field in the first half of the 2019 Spring Game on April 13. Gray beat Scarlet 35-17. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo Editor

Sophomore Justin Fields and redshirt freshman Matthew Baldwin traded their final blows of the spring in the quarterback battle Saturday, although the “blows” were few and far between.

Fields completed less than half his throws but flashed great running ability, while the Baldwin fared better through the air in terms of yardage and completion percentage, but threw two interceptions and recorded a fumble.

“They both flashed at times, still a work in progress,” head coach Ryan Day said. “I thought that they gave some of the receivers a chance at times.”

Both athletes provided inklings of their full potential.

Fields connected with senior wide receiver Binjimen Victor for a 98-yard touchdown in the second quarter. The pass traveled 38 yards downfield, thrown up the right sideline directly into Victor’s arms overtop diving sophomore cornerback Lloyd McFarquhar.

This came a few drives after Fields showcased his running potential by outracing Team Scarlet’s defense for a five-yard read option touchdown run.

“I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface,” Fields said. “I know I can be better, I’ve done better at practice, of course there’s always room to improve so I’m just gonna continue to work.”

Baldwin threw a solid downfield pass of his own in the back of the endzone to freshman wide receiver Garrett Wilson, and finished the more accurate passer, connecting on 20 of his 36 pass attempts.

Inconsistencies persisted in a number of Baldwin’s throws, however. A 40-yard pass to redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Hill was underthrown, even though it was caught. Another ball intended for Wilson went sailing out-of-bounds a few plays later.

That’s without bringing up the two interceptions, one thrown behind freshman H-back Jaelen Gill and another ill-advised toss into double coverage.

“I thought Matthew made a couple really nice throws down the field,” Day said. “We turned the ball over, threw it to them, which is good for the defense.”

While Fields threw likely the best pass of the day on the Victor touchdown, a 4-of-13 finish through the air leaves much to be desired.

The “thud” tackling design of the Spring Game also limited what he could do on the ground, but Fields finished with 38 yards rushing, 30 of which came on one play, and the score.

“Sometimes it’s hard when you’re not in the tackle situation, is it a sack, is it not,” Day said. “Justin, he can kinda create on the edge a little bit, didn’t get a chance to see that as much.”

Baldwin’s never taken a snap in a collegiate game, and Fields hasn’t started in any. Consistency takes refinement, and Day recognizes both quarterbacks are still new to the collegiate game.

That greenness likely contributed to many of Saturday’s struggles in the passing game.

“It’s one thing to say it, it’s one thing to see it on film, it’s another thing to do it in the 7-on-7 when there’s no rush, and then when the rush is going,” Day said. “There’s nothing that replaces experience. The more these guys get a chance to play and run the offense, the better they’ll be.”

Both quarterbacks will try and continue improving heading into the fall. Day says the competition is still open.

“I don’t really know right now [who the leader is],” Day said. “I don’t think, right now, that we’re gonna make a decision on that. I think it’ll continue through the preseason.”