There’s an old adage which reads “Lawyers hang their mistakes, doctors bury theirs, journalists print theirs on the front page.” Anyone familiar with The Lantern may notice that we’re willing to go beyond the front page with our typos and blunders.

This idea in point is what is so incredibly striking about the latest happening in “The Student Voice of The Ohio State University.” Anyone unfamiliar with either of the two cryptic boxes of text (one appearing on yesterday’s front page, the other a week previous) may have read about turmoil in the newsroom. Last week’s announcement related the fact that campus editor Patrick Cain had been placed on suspension because he was cited as a staff member for an unspecified USG presidential campaign team. The letter was tucked in the lower left corner of the day’s front page and signed by Lantern editor Melanie Watkins.

For a number of reasons, the campaign team was kept secret from The Lantern’s readership. Namely, final judgment had to be cast upon Cain, the facts had to be sorted and it could be considered unfair to release the team name and possibly injure an innocent campaign in the midst of its bid for the presidency.

Placing this scenario in the scene of real politics covered by real papers, the very idea of intentionally hiding such information about a senior newspaper staffer – not a reporter, copy editor, or photographer, rather an assigning editor who has the power to spin reporters’ stories and report back gathered information to his non-disclosed allies – is insane in a profession with supposed ethics.

The non-disclosure would possibly be OK though, if it wasn’t for yesterday’s aforementioned, unsigned announcement on the front page.

“Patrick Cain resigned Monday from his position as campus editor of The Lantern. He will remain on staff as a reporter.”

Cain was accused last week of creating a conflict of interest by participating in an Undergraduate Student Government presidential-vice presidential team campaign. Cain denied the accusations in his resignation.”

That’s it. USA Today is willing to fire a fraudulent reporter and his non-collaborative editor, but a foundations institute such as The Lantern is unwilling to even allow real public discourse on the subject beyond vague pecularities.

Luckily for Cain – and the recently elected USG presidential team of Aftab Pureval and Deb Mason – The Lantern is more than willing to turn the other cheek, hide the pertinent information from its readers and keep the offender on its staff. Truly unbelievable in a crumbling journalism school which, above writing, should be able to teach its students ethics.

By being publicly associated with the Pureval-Mason crew, it is not beyond reason to speculate upon the dialogue exchange between the campus editor and the president-elect. In the end, Cain was brought before The Lantern’s Publication Committee. A defiant Cain resigned, admitted no wrongdoing but maintained a position as staff writer.

Well that’s real swell of the publications committee, which consists of Lantern adviser Rose Hume, editor Watkins, and senior journalism professor Tom Schwartz, among others.

While no reason was given for hiding the benefactors of Cain’s information, Cain’s ability to remain on staff is a direct result of The Lantern’s antiquated setup. As a student laboratory newspaper, The Lantern’s staff consists of students in a three-part series of classes. Cain is now enrolled in the last of class of the series. Firing him completely might mean he would fail the class – or might have to withdraw – and have to retake it. Obviously, no one is willing to stop his march to practicing real journalism. No need to make an impression upon him – or other journalism students – that ethics and honesty are a good thing.

A full account needs to be published to the OSU community by The Lantern regarding this situation from the public and allowing the flawed practices of its staff. I say shame on USG for accepting these benefits. I’m sure you’ll be the corrupt politicians you aspire to be.

Ian James is a senior in journalism. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].