For the first time in almost a decade, Troy Smith is set return to Ohio Stadium with a football in hand.

Ohio State announced via its athletics Twitter handle on Tuesday that the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner will compete against current Buckeye signal callers J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones in a “QB Skills Challenge” at halftime of Saturday’s Spring Game.

While Smith hasn’t taken a snap in the Horseshoe since a 2006 win over Michigan, his No. 10 was honored at halftime of last year’s edition of The Game as OSU defeated Michigan 42-28.

Barrett, a redshirt-sophomore from Wichita Falls, Texas, injured his ankle in the fourth quarter of that game and has been limited throughout spring practice and will not play in the Spring Game, coach Urban Meyer said Monday.

Jones on the other hand, will be the game-time and halftime entertainment for the Ohio Stadium crowd on Saturday. Meyer announced on Monday that the redshirt-junior and national champion winning quarterback will join redshirt-freshman Stephen Collier as the two players under center while Barrett and redshirt-senior Braxton Miller nurse offseason injuries.

Miller will not be a part of the halftime competition likely because of his continued recovery from a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder, suffered in August. Meyer told Sports Illustrated that Miller is throwing at about 20-30 percent, but is still not ready to go full steam.

The quarterback competition will be accompanied by the second annual fastest student competition at halftime.

The Spring Game is set to kickoff at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.