Home » News » Brian Hartline named interim wide receivers coach

Brian Hartline named interim wide receivers coach

Ohio State has named an interim wide receivers coach following the dismissal of Zach Smith earlier this week.

Brian Hartline, former Ohio State and NFL wide receiver, will be promoted from his current position as senior quality control coach to the interim position in charge of wide receivers. At the same time Corey Dennis was named to take over the position Hartline is vacating.

“As I said in Chicago, I am very confident with the individuals on this coaching staff and both Brian and Corey are quality young men,” head coach Urban Meyer said via a press release. “I anticipate both of them doing well with their new responsibilities.”

Smith was dismissed as wide receivers coach earlier this week after reports of domestic abuse against in his ex-wife in 2009 and again in 2015 surfaced. Meyer said earlier this week at Big Ten Media Day he was aware of the 2009 incident but was just learning of the 2015 allegations this week.

Hartline played in the NFL for seven seasons, tallying 104 games with 73 starts, after he was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fourth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He recorded 344 receptions — 14 for touchdowns — for 4,766 receiving yards. Hartline played for the Dolphins from 2009 to 2014, and the Cleveland Browns during the 2015 season.