The U.S. and Swedish women’s national teams lineup ahead of their friendly at Mapfre Stadium in Columbus, Ohio Nov. 7. The U.S. won 3-2. Credit: Eric Amerine | Lantern Reporter

Carli Lloyd scored twice and Christian Press added another for the U.S. women’s national team in a 3-2 victory against Sweden in a friendly Thursday at Mapfre Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

The top-ranked Americans improved to 19-1-3 in 2019 and unbeaten in 22 consecutive matches, including a World Cup title this past summer.

After just one start in the World Cup, Lloyd stepped back into the U.S. lineup and got the scoring started in the third minute off an assist from Press.

“Goals come when you’re not really seeking goals — they just happen,” Lloyd said. “I’m just trying to learn throughout my career that if you go out and give 100 percent effort, some good things usually happen.”

Press followed with a goal of her own in the 28th minute. Flashy footwork between two defenders in the box led to Press’s 50th international goal, making her the 11th American to reach that milestone.

Just three minutes later, Lloyd tallied her second goal of the night. Forward Tobin Heath set Lloyd up in the box, and she found the back of the net on a chip over the head of Swedish goalkeeper Hedviq Lindahl.

Lloyd’s multi-goal match was the 22nd of her career, and gave the U.S. captain her fifth goal in the last three matches at Mapfre Stadium. The U.S. is now 7-1-1 all-time in the stadium.

Forward Anna Anvegård made a late push for No. 5 Sweden, scoring in the 75th and 79th minutes of the match.

The win marked the debut of new head coach Vlatko Andonovski, who on Oct. 28 became the ninth coach in women’s team history. He has spent seven seasons in the National Women’s Soccer League and was named NWSL Coach of the Year in 2013 with FC Kansas City and in 2019 with Reign FC.

“It was exciting. A win is a win,” Andonovski said. “I was excited for the team and they were excited for me.”

After jumping into his new role, Andonovski immediately began prepping his team for CONCACAF Olympic qualifying. The Americans have won four Olympic gold medals and have qualified for the Olympics each time since women’s soccer was added in 1996.

Next, the U.S. will face Costa Rica on Nov. 10 at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida.