A member of the Broadway show 'South Pacific' models a retro bathing suit in the village of Sands Point in New York, May 27, 2008. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

A member of the Broadway show ‘South Pacific’ models a retro bathing suit in the village of Sands Point in New York, May 27, 2008.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Some of you lucky people got sunburns over the weekend ­­— a sure sign that the warm weather is finally here to stay. And with these hotter temperatures come one of the most aggravating clothing purchases you will have to make all year: the bathing suit. This item is much more of a hassle to find than it’s worth, but admit it: when you find “the one,” your life gets just a little bit better. Keep reading to learn about some of the popular suit styles this season and why they’ll work for you.

Is it one… or two?

One of my favorite styles this year is the one-piece suit that is so much more than just your basic swimsuit. These feign the look of a two-piece with strategically placed cutouts or mesh inserts that add personality to the ensemble without sacrificing an ounce of comfort. The style you decide on can easily allow you to control just how much skin you’re comfortable with showing, whether that’s just a little hint here and there or a very nearly bikini style. If you do go for this type of suit, be sure to apply sunscreen to the cutout areas — otherwise, you could end up with the oddest tanlines.

Throwback

Another of the trends I’m obsessed with in swimwear right now is the pinup, retro style seen in both bikinis and one-pieces. Pick a pair of bottoms with a high-waist and pair it with a halter top, or go for the single piece with empire stitching and a bustier-style top section. This style is super customizable to your personality. Whether you want to just get a suit with a retro cut and a modern print or want to fully go in the pinup direction with sailor stripes or polka dots, the choice is yours.

Make it vibrant

Bright, neon colors look great against a summer backdrop, so this is the time to get these exuberant colors out of your system. You can go with pieces in bright solid colors or take it a step further with bold patterns like tribal-inspired prints or tie-dyed pieces. Mix it up even more by pairing one patterned piece with a solid, such as a tribal top with a solid bottom. Your options with this style are virtually endless.

LBB

If the swimsuit world just has too many options for you, there’s always the option of a classic little black bikini — something that never goes out of style. This is the perfect no-muss, no-fuss style that is just as fashionable as it is functional. If you want to keep it from being too basic, try different styles of tops to mix it up. You can get a bikini top with fringe for a bohemian vibe or a strapless top with a bow for a preppier vibe. Solid colored suits are often a little cheaper than prints, so this is also the perfect way to save on your swimwear.

There is only one thing you need to remember when looking for your perfect swimsuit — when you’re comfortable, you look flawless in everything, so go out there and shop accordingly.