Starters from the Ohio State and Purdue women’s volleyball teams greet
each other prior to their match at St. John Arena on Friday, Oct. 27 in Columbus, Ohio.
Purdue won the match 3-0. Credit: Jeff Helfrich | Lantern Reporter

Ohio State senior outside hitters Ashley Wenz and Luisa Schirmer led their team with 13 and 10 kills, respectively, en route to the Buckeyes’ 3-0 victory at Rutgers Wednesday night.

The Buckeyes are now 14-12 overall and 7-8 in the Big Ten. The Scarlet Knights drop to 5-22 and 0-15 in conference play.

The first set was the closest for the two teams. The Scarlet Knights picked up the lead within the first couple points before tying six times with the Buckeyes. Ohio State quickly regained its momentum with a kill by Wenz and a block by sophomore middle blocker Madison Smeathers and freshman setter Becca Mauer. Although Rutgers trailed closely, the Buckeyes won the set 25-21.

Once again the Scarlet Knights took the lead in the second set, but it wasn’t long before the Buckeyes turned it around with two consecutive aces from Schirmer. Ohio State buried 10 kills and registered two blocks in a 25-12 victory.

Ohio State dispelled any chance of a comeback with a 7-0 run to open the would-be final set. Although the Scarlet Knights put away eight kills and a block, it was not enough to catch up to the Buckeyes and freshman outside hitter Ayanna Swan, who recorded four kills in Ohio State’s 25-17 third-set win to seal the match.

Ohio State’s victory against Rutgers marked the 400th win of head coach Geoff Carlston’s 18-year career. He has been at the helm of the Buckeyes for 10 seasons.

The Buckeyes continue their season at 9 p.m. Saturday in Iowa City, Iowa, against Iowa.